1. Navigate to the Global Forest Watch Fires map.
This platform focuses on fires and haze in Southeast Asia, specifically in Indonesia and Malaysia, so many of the data sets on the map only cover this area. For more global data sets, visit the GFW Interactive Map.
2. Click "GENERATE REPORT" in the panel on the right-hand side of the map and a fire report will open in a new browser tab. Note: The standard report shows fire statistics for all of Indonesia for the last 7 days. To learn how to customize a report for a subnational area in Indonesia, go to Step 8 below.
3. Some of the graphics in the fire report are interactive. Zoom in to any map by either double-clicking on the image or scrolling your mouse.
4. Hover your mouse over the charts to find out more specific details about that analysis.
5. For the Fire Alert Count graphic showing historic fire activity, you can click and drag your mouse in the plot area to zoom in to a smaller date range.
Press "Reset zoom" to reset the graph's date range.
6. Print or download any of the charts as a PNG, JPEG, PDF, or SVG file by clicking on the menu in the top right hand corner of the graphic.
7. To create a custom fire report, click “CUSTOMIZE REPORT” in the panel on the right-hand side of the map and a menu of options will appear.
8. Select a source for the concessions data that you want to analyze. (To learn more about the difference between GFW and Greenpeace concessions, click on the corresponding information icons in the data legends.)
9. Select a custom geographic area within Indonesia by island or province. You can erase the default selections by clicking “CLEAR ALL”. Click in the box to see a menu of available areas to choose from.
10. Set a custom time period for your analysis by selecting dates from the calendar. Note: You must click on a specific day in the calendar to set the time period.
11. Once you have finalized your selections, click on “GENERATE REPORT” to create your customized fire report. See instructions above for more information about viewing and downloading the results.