Forest Watcher is a mobile application that lets you bring the forest monitoring and alert systems of Global Forest Watch offline and into the field. The Forest Watcher desktop website provides additional features like creating custom report templates and setting up teams to monitor areas.
STEPS FOR USING FOREST WATCHER
1. Download the Forest Watcher app from Google Play or the Apple App store. Make sure that your device meets the technical requirements. The app works best if you are connected to a wifi network, but you can also use your cellular data. Forest Watcher will always ask you before using your cellular data to load alerts.
Note: The app is available in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Indonesian. It will load in the language of your mobile device.
2. Log in using your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account. If you already use MyGFW on Global Forest Watch, we recommend that you log in using the same account.
3. Set up an area to monitor and load the latest alerts. You can also set up and manage areas of interest on the Forest Watcher website and they will sync with the mobile app as long as you log in with the same account.
4. Monitor your area for alerts by viewing it on the map. If you are near your area, Forest Watcher will help you navigate to alerts using the GPS on your mobile device.
5. Submit a report for an alert or any location in your area. You can provide photos and answer a questionnaire about what you find.