1. Enter the GFW Interactive Map.
2. Turn on the Forest Change data layer you wish to subscribe to (e.g., tree cover loss).
3. Select the Analyze and Subscribe icon on the right-hand side of the map, and choose “Draw or Upload Shape.”
- To subscribe to a user-drawn shape, select “Start drawing” and click with your mouse to draw a shape in the map. Note: You can drag the points to edit your shape after you’re finished drawing.
- The analysis results will appear in the window on the right side of the map.
- You can then subscribe to the activated forest change data set for the area by clicking the “Subscribe” button.
- You will then be prompted to 1) Log in using your Twitter, Facebook, or Google account (the first time you log in you will be asked to create a profile), 2) Enter the email address where you would like to receive notifications for the subscription, 3) Name your subscription, and 4) Click the link sent to your email to confirm the subscription.
- Note: You will only be subscribed to the activated forest change data set. You can create multiple subscriptions if you would like to subscribe to more than one Forest Change data set. Please be aware that not all alert systems may cover the area you selected, and not all forest change data sets are supported by the subscription feature. To learn more about each system, click on the information icons that appear in Forest Change drop-down menu on the GFW Interactive Map.
- To view and manage your subscriptions, click on “Visit your saved subscriptions” in the “Subscription saved” pop-up window, or click on “Subscriptions” in the drop-down menu from the My GFW icon.
4. To subscribe to uploaded data, click the button that says “Click to Pick a File or Drop One Here” to select a data set from your computer to upload. You can also drag a data set directly from your computer’s file explorer or finder. Note: Data can be uploaded in the following formats: Unzipped: .bna, .csv, .dxf, .gtx, .txt, json, .geojson, .rss, .georss, .xml, .gml, .gmt, . gpx, .itf, .kml, .kmz. Zipped: .shp, dbf, .shx, .gml, .xsd, .itf, .ili, .tab, .map, .id, .dat, .vrt. Point features are not supported and the maximum recommended file size is 1 MB. Note: You can drag the points to edit your shape once it’s uploaded to the map.
- Your shape(s) will then show up on the map and the analysis results will appear in the right-hand window. Note: If you upload more than one shape at a time, the analysis tool will sum up the area of your shapes in the forest change calculation.
- You can then subscribe to the activated forest change alerts for the area by clicking the “Subscribe” button. You will then be prompted to log in to My GFW (see instructions for subscribing to a drawn shape above).